Subject: Re: bug#52517: inconstency with offloading

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 20:19:32 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Mon, 03 Jan 2022 at 19:30, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Interestingly, GUIX_DAEMON_SOCKET=ssh://… almost achieves that.

Thanks for the hint.

> Alright, committing.

Cool!  Thanks.

>> I am fine to close the issue but, as I said, the fix seems to be able to
>> offload without root access but just an SSH access.
>
> Yes, we can discuss that separately.

Yes…

> A simple design would be to have clients install a “build handler”; when
> the handler is called, it selects a machine, open a remote store
> connection, copies missing inputs, starts the build, retrieves
> outputs—all that from the client.  Of course admins still have to
> authorize keys both ways, but at least that gives more flexibility.  (We
> could also have a model where keys are authorized just one-way.)

…and it is not easy.  And somehow it is similar as the issue of «Public
guix offload server» discussed [1] recently (Oct. 2021).

1: <https://yhetil.org/guix/[email-masked]>

Cheers,
simon