Subject: bug#52510: guix install - profile build takes forever

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 14:31:19 +0100

Hi Florian,

Florian Hoertlehner <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I use guix 1.3, and a simple guix install takes forever. It hangs 2-10
> minutes in the profile build phase.
> I have a NVME drive, and see 10-80 MB/sec IO Write in this timeframe.
>
> In the terminal I see: "building profile with 159 packages..."
> Then I have to wait 5 minutes.

So it’s really this “building profile” part that takes 5mn, right?

Could you share the output of ‘guix package --export-manifest’ (or ‘guix
package -I’)?  You can share it privately if you prefer not to make it
public.

On a 5yo SSD, and with 300+ packages in my profile, this part usually
takes a few seconds.  But it could be that for some packages, in
particular packages with lots of propagated inputs, this operation takes
longer.

Thanks,
Ludo’.