Subject: Re: bug#52501: xcalc seems broken

From: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 09:59:48 +0100

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> Our xcalc package launches something that I can't figure out how to use.
> This is with Guix on Debian.
>
> Can anyone reproduce it?

I can reproduce it just fine using `guix shell xcalc -- xcalc`.  The
issue is that the application is styled using a resource file, in
./lib/X11/app-defaults/, which is supposed to be loaded by libxt.
Looking at gnu/packages/patches/libxt-guix-search-paths.patch, the
search paths only take into account the user's home directory and the
value of GUIX_PROFILE.

Doing `guix shell xcalc`, followed by `GUIX_PROFILE="$GUIX_ENVIRONMENT"
xcalc` works for me.  It should work when installed in the default Guix
profile, but this is pretty ugly.

This should also be the case for all libxt applications.

WDYT?

Best,
Josselin Poiret