Subject: Re: bug#52501: xcalc seems broken

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 18:01:20 -0400

Hi Leo,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 09:59:48AM +0100, Josselin Poiret wrote:
>> issue is that the application is styled using a resource file, in
>> ./lib/X11/app-defaults/, which is supposed to be loaded by libxt.
>> Looking at gnu/packages/patches/libxt-guix-search-paths.patch, the
>> search paths only take into account the user's home directory and the
>> value of GUIX_PROFILE.
>> 
>> Doing `guix shell xcalc`, followed by `GUIX_PROFILE="$GUIX_ENVIRONMENT"
>> xcalc` works for me.  It should work when installed in the default Guix
>> profile, but this is pretty ugly.
>> 
>> This should also be the case for all libxt applications.
>
> Ah, thanks for investigating. I confirm it works fine when installed
> into my profile.
>
>> WDYT?
>
> Hm, I'd have to think about how to improve it. What do people think?

The usual way of fixing this kind of problem in Guix would be to add a
search path, so that it works in any profile.

Would you like to give it a try?  Otherwise, feel free to close the
issue if you lost interest in it.

Maxim