Subject: bug#52494: 13.0.14; Please rerun for me, if necessary

From: Reinhard Kotucha <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 02:30:18 +0100

On 2021-12-15 at 01:10:01 +0100, Rolf Ade wrote:

 >
 > TeX-LaTeX-sentinel notices the user in at least five cases per message()
 > he should rerun LaTeX (or a similar command) for this or that reason. I
 > stumbled over that as user of the longtable package
 >
 > If is it necessary to rerun the command and the tex file otherwise
 > formatted successfully why isn't this done automatically for me?

And run bibtex and makeindex etc. automatically too?  In this case it
would be much better and easier to compile with latexmk instead of
{lua,pdf,xe}latex.

 > The only reason I can think of for not immediately rerun in such
 > cases is formatting time and the intermediate result is fine enough
 > for what it was generated.

Of course.  Emacs is fine while working on a particular file and
compile time definitely matters.  It's less important that the TOC is
up-to-date then.  And even if all cross references are resolved but
bibtex and makeindex aren't run you don't get the final document
anyway.

Are you aware of latexmk?  It's part of the TeX Live distribution.
Don't know about MiKTeX.  It's worth a try anyhow.

Though I usually run latexmk on the command line I could imagine that
AUCTeX offers an option to invoke latexmk when pressing C-c C-c in
addition to "LaTeX", "View", ...

Regards,
  Reinhard

--
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reinhard Kotucha                            Phone: +49-511-3373112
Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:[email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------