Subject: Re: bug#52494: 13.0.14; Please rerun for me, if necessary

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 15:38:03 +0900

Hi Rolf and Reinhard,

>>>>> Reinhard Kotucha <[email-masked]> writes:
> On 2021-12-15 at 01:10:01 +0100, Rolf Ade wrote:
>> 
>> TeX-LaTeX-sentinel notices the user in at least five cases per message()
>> he should rerun LaTeX (or a similar command) for this or that reason. I
>> stumbled over that as user of the longtable package
>> 
>> If is it necessary to rerun the command and the tex file otherwise
>> formatted successfully why isn't this done automatically for me?

There is already such a feature. Try C-c C-a in the document bufffer.
Here is an excerption from info document `(auctex) Starting a Command'.
,----
|    It is also possible to compile automatically the whole document until
| it is ready with a single command: 'TeX-command-run-all'.
| 
|  -- Command: TeX-command-run-all
|      ('C-c C-a') Compile the current document until an error occurs or
|      it is finished.  If compilation finishes successfully, run the
|      viewer at the end.
`----

> And run bibtex and makeindex etc. automatically too?  In this case it
> would be much better and easier to compile with latexmk instead of
> {lua,pdf,xe}latex.

>> The only reason I can think of for not immediately rerun in such
>> cases is formatting time and the intermediate result is fine enough
>> for what it was generated.

I guess that the most important reason is that it isn't guaranteed that
AUCTeX infers correctly what command and how many times it should run.
It is always safe to give the user a chance to decide what to do next.

> Are you aware of latexmk?  It's part of the TeX Live distribution.
> Don't know about MiKTeX.  It's worth a try anyhow.

As Reinhard told, there is a tool latexmk which is specialized to
execute the sequencial commands in line. You can try it. (But I don't
know whether latexmk works for other formats than LaTeX (plain TeX,
AMS-TeX, ConTeXt etc.))

> Though I usually run latexmk on the command line I could imagine that
> AUCTeX offers an option to invoke latexmk when pressing C-c C-c in
> addition to "LaTeX", "View", ...

You can customize `TeX-command-list' to inlcude an entry to run latexmk.
And as always, patches are welcome. ;-)

Regards,
Ikumi Keita