Subject: Re: bug#52493: 29.0.50; Setting Inconsolata up in init.el makes default face rendered wrong

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 17:06:05 +0300

On 17.12.2021 16:46, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 16:21:30 +0300
>>
>>>> Like, okay, Inconsolata_dz has a weird "style" ("dz"), but the plain
>>>> Inconsolata is "Medium".
>>>
>>> Plain Inconsolata is indeed medium, but Emacs now requests regular,
>>> not medium, as the default weight.  And, according to the Fc log you
>>> posted, Inconsolata doesn't have a regular weight variety (whose value
>>> should be 80, not 100).
>>
>> But when I specify :weight 'medium, shouldn't it request medium then?
> 
> You didn't just specify medium, you specified both the family and the
> weight.  The implementation does it one attribute at a time (because
> doing it together triggered other bugs), so at first Emacs attempts to
> find a font with that family and the default weight.  And without the
> kludge in font.c, that font is rejected because it doesn't have
> regular weight.

Feels counter-intuitive, but all right.

I've tested the latest master, and that problem is fixed. Thanks!