Subject: Re: bug#52493: 29.0.50; Setting Inconsolata up in init.el makes default face rendered wrong

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 15:46:28 +0200

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 16:21:30 +0300
> 
> >> Like, okay, Inconsolata_dz has a weird "style" ("dz"), but the plain
> >> Inconsolata is "Medium".
> > 
> > Plain Inconsolata is indeed medium, but Emacs now requests regular,
> > not medium, as the default weight.  And, according to the Fc log you
> > posted, Inconsolata doesn't have a regular weight variety (whose value
> > should be 80, not 100).
> 
> But when I specify :weight 'medium, shouldn't it request medium then?

You didn't just specify medium, you specified both the family and the
weight.  The implementation does it one attribute at a time (because
doing it together triggered other bugs), so at first Emacs attempts to
find a font with that family and the default weight.  And without the
kludge in font.c, that font is rejected because it doesn't have
regular weight.