Subject: bug#52493: 29.0.50; Setting Inconsolata up in init.el makes default face rendered wrong

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 03:49:36 +0300

On 16.12.2021 19:56, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> There's part of the font_delete_unmatched function that's conditioned
> on HAVE_NTGUI.  If you remove the condition (so that the code there is
> unconditionally compiled) and rebuild, does the problem go away?

Yup! Seems to help.

This is one additional piece of misbehavior (perhaps unrelated) that 
really caught my eye during these tests:

When I evaluate

   (set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 110 :family "InconsolataLGC")

(this variation of the font doesn't have the original problem), the 
height of the window shrinks, unless the window is maximized.

If I evaluate it multiple times, the height shrinks every time I do that 
(stopping at height 5, when even the minibuffer becomes inaccessible).

If I evaluate

   (set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 110 :family "Inconsolata_dz")

(with your fix applied), it only shrinks twice (from 33 to 29 to 27, as 
reported by (window-height)). And then stops shrinking on subsequent 
attempts.

Doing the same with InconsolataLGC on the latter build still makes it 
shrink indefinitely.