Subject: bug#52493: 29.0.50; Setting Inconsolata up in init.el makes default face rendered wrong

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2023 22:38:19 +0000

>
> OTOH this argument again brought by gijsbers on 
> https://github.com/ice-wm/icewm/issues/115
>
> IceWM historically has ignored the USSize field in the WM_NORMAL_HINTS 
> property. To enforce a size an app must set both the PMinSize and the 
> PMaxSize to the same value. Because there is no PMaxSize, icewm is free 
> to adjust the size to a value which is in accordance to the emacs 
> provided PBaseSize and PResizeInc. See the ICCCM for details. IceWM is 
> still standards conformant. It just has a different interpretation than 
> other WMs.
>
> is not valid IMO.  min_width and min_height specify the minimum sizes 
> that should be applied, for example, when the user tries to shrink a 
> window with the mouse by dragging one of its borders or edges.  Emacs 
> does not handle these reasonably well but here I can see them with 
> applications like Firefox or Thunderbird.  Together with max_width and 
> max_height these can be used to specify a fixed-size window.  But "To 
> enforce a size an app must set both the PMinSize and the PMaxSize to the 
> same value." is something I cannot derive from any sources I have on 
> this subject.
>

As I just said in bug#60585, the bug seems to be specific to that window 
manager (or at least to a few window managers), and disabling scroll-bars 
or setting frame-resize-pixelwise to t fixes that problem.  OTOH, what 
gijsbers says does not seem unreasonable to me (but I'm not at all an 
ICCCM expert), and I see here

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html

that "Window Managers can identify a non-resizable window because its 
minimum and maximum size in WM_NORMAL_HINTS will be the same." and that 
"Windows can indicate that they are non-resizable by setting minheight = 
maxheight and minwidth = maxwidth in the ICCCM WM_NORMAL_HINTS property."