Subject: bug#52493: 29.0.50; Setting Inconsolata up in init.el makes default face rendered wrong

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 10:48:23 +0100

> Another user reported an apparently similar problem in bug#60585.

Looking at that thread I noticed the following:

1. Why does

   I have just pulled latest Emacs and used with -Q option:
   `global-text-scale-adjust' which I have used last days upon first
   startup.

try to adjust the frame size in the first place?  IIUC it should do that
iff 'global-text-scale-adjust-resizes-frames' is non-nil and that option
is nil with emacs -Q.

2. This argument brought by gijsbers on
    https://github.com/ice-wm/icewm/issues/115

   If you look at the height of 761 then 761 - 71 is not a multiple of the vertical increment 22.
   Hence the height is adjusted to 753, because (753 - 71) / 22 = 31 exactly.
   Maybe the size is adjusted to match the Inc and Base.

is valid.  We'd have to investigate how we produce these values.

3. OTOH this argument again brought by gijsbers on
    https://github.com/ice-wm/icewm/issues/115

   IceWM historically has ignored the USSize field in the WM_NORMAL_HINTS
   property. To enforce a size an app must set both the PMinSize and the
   PMaxSize to the same value. Because there is no PMaxSize, icewm is free
   to adjust the size to a value which is in accordance to the emacs
   provided PBaseSize and PResizeInc. See the ICCCM for details. IceWM is
   still standards conformant. It just has a different interpretation than
   other WMs.

is not valid IMO.  min_width and min_height specify the minimum sizes
that should be applied, for example, when the user tries to shrink a
window with the mouse by dragging one of its borders or edges.  Emacs
does not handle these reasonably well but here I can see them with
applications like Firefox or Thunderbird.  Together with max_width and
max_height these can be used to specify a fixed-size window.  But "To
enforce a size an app must set both the PMinSize and the PMaxSize to the
same value." is something I cannot derive from any sources I have on
this subject.

martin