Subject: Re: bug#52493: 29.0.50; Setting Inconsolata up in init.el makes default face rendered wrong

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 03:50:47 +0200

Hi Martin!

On 31/12/2022 21:01, martin rudalics wrote:
> where each x_new_font paragraph corresponds to one evaluation above.
> Note the following two properties:
> 
> - As soon as things clear up, the size of the frame in text characters
>    is 80x36 and never changes after that.  The same will have to hold for
>    your 'set-face-attribute' calls regardless of what the pixel sizes
>    say.
> 
> - "outer rest 0x0" stands for a zero rest when dividing the requested
>    size minus the base size by the size increments.  The same will have
>    to hold for your 'set-face-attribute' calls.
> 
> Maybe I'm just lucky here or it's because I do not scale.  I invite
> everyone on GTK with some spare time to apply the attached
> x_scale_font.diff, do some random 'set-face-attribute' calls and consult
> the contents of the *foo* buffer.  If the two properties don't hold,
> something might be wrong and we should investigate that.

Two points:

- My personal init script still results in a frame that's 84 columns 
wide (according to frame-text-cols). There are no frame size settings in 
the configuration.

- There are still widths of the frame where evaluating the previously 
mentioned set-face-attribute form results in the frame shrinking 
repeatedly until it reaches one of the "stable" widths. Like in prevous 
test, the width 80 is stable. IOW, nothing seems to have changed WRT to 
the shrinking behavior.

Here are the contents of *foo* accompanying the 'emacs -Q' session where 
I first resize the frame to 90 columns (according to the wm) using the 
mouse, and then evaluate the set-face-attribute form 7 times until it 
reaches the width 80.

It does have a number of lines where "outer rest" is followed by values 
other than 0x0. It's only 0x0 at the end.