Subject: Re: bug#52493: 29.0.50; Setting Inconsolata up in init.el makes default face rendered wrong

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 15:40:02 +0000

>>> The text is OK, but please put this in the manual, not in the doc 
>>> string.  If we want something to this effect in the doc string, let's 
>>> just have the first sentence there, and then a reference to the 
>>> manual.
>>
>> Now done (d086cd6cf8).  I also aligned the documentation of 
>> set-face-attribute in the manual with that of the docstring, with what 
>> was discussed in bug#57499.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Unfortunately, you also decided to take this opportunity to make changes 
> to which I explicitly objected in bug#57499.  I reverted that part. 
> Please don't increase my load of work by making changes we didn't agree 
> to make.
>

There must be some misunderstanding here.  What I did was nothing more 
than to align the manual with the docstring, something which was forgotten 
in bug#57499.  The paragraph you now restored in the manual is similar to 
the paragraph you removed from the docstring in 89695bce3e, and the 
paragraph you added in 89695bce3e ("When a new frame is created, attribute 
values...") means, as far as I understand, the same as the sentence

If @var{frame} is @code{t}, this function sets the default attributes for 
newly created frames; they will effectively override the attribute values 
specified by @code{defface}.

which is already in the manual.