Subject: Re: bug#52493: 29.0.50; Setting Inconsolata up in init.el makes default face rendered wrong

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 22:42:40 +0000

>>> 2. I start 'emacs -Q' and evaluate (set-face-attribute 'default nil 
>>> :height 105 :family "Inconsolata_dz") in *scratch*. I get that 
>>> weird-looking font that blinks briefly in scenario 1. 'M-x 
>>> describe-face RET default' reports "Ubuntu Condensed" as family.
>>
>> Again, can you try to evaluate (set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 
>> 110 :font "Inconsolata_dz") (with ":font", not ":family") instead, and 
>> tell us what happens?
>>
>> Can you try your other recipes, using ":font" where you used ":family", 
>> and tell us whether what happens is what you expected?
>
> What is the significance of using :font instead of :family in these 
> cases, for the purpose of discussing and investigating this issue?
>

The two reasons are:

1. IME passing an font name in the :font attribute gives in general better 
results than passing a font name in the :family attribute.  (And Dmitry 
confirmed that the problem he was facing was mostly solved with that 
change.)

2. Dmitry's specific recipe, which worked with Emacs 28, cannot work 
anymore with Emacs 29 because of dae3c4e89b.