Subject: Re: bug#52493: 29.0.50; Setting Inconsolata up in init.el makes default face rendered wrong

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 22:42:30 +0000

> So this result from Dmitry:
>
>>>> It's a weird scenario, but evaluating this in 'emacs -Q' will make 
>>>> characters render more narrowly (and a little shorter) than it did 
>>>> previously:
>>>>
>>>> (set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 110 :family "Inconsolata_dz")
>>>>
>>>> See the attached screenshot with comparison (master is on the left).
>>>
>>> Indeed, weird.  What does the below show?
>>>
>>> M-: (face-font 'default) RET
>>>
>>> after you evaluate the above in "emacs -Q"?
>>
>> "-DAMA-Ubuntu Condensed-regular-normal-normal-*-29-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1"
>
> is not reproduced on your system, is that right?
>

Correct.  But I don't have the Ubuntu Condensed font installed, so it's 
not surprising that this result cannot be reproduced exactly.  It does not 
reproduce approximately either, in the sense that (set-face-attribute 
'default nil :height 110 :family "Inconsolata_dz") does not change the 
font at all, not even temporarily.