Subject: bug#52493: 29.0.50; Setting Inconsolata up in init.el makes default face rendered wrong

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 22:39:42 +0200

On 22/12/2022 12:15, martin rudalics wrote:
> Thanks.  Please with the new patch attached eval in *scratch* the first
> form
> 
> (defun foo-set-face-attribute ()
>    (foo-it "set-face-attribute")
>    (set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 110 :family "InconsolataLGC"))
> 
> (foo-set-face-attribute)
> 
> and then eval the last form a couple of times.  This should help us to
> discern whether and how 'set-face-attribute' has an effect on the size
> hints.

The contents of the buffer *foo* are below.

I'm not sure if you caught one of my previous messages, however, so I'd 
like to repeat:

The problem is easily repeatable in the above scenario. But not if I 
change "InconsolataLGC" to "Inconsolata LGC". Then the resizing stops 
after the first iteration.

In either case, 'M-x describe-face RET default' shows "Family: 
Inconsolata LGC", though. So it's not like "InconsolataLGC" is entirely 
unrecognized.

Anyway, here's the log (evaled the form 3 times):

adjust_frame_size .. pixel_height .. 25 .. text_height .. 24
adjust_frame_size .. pixel_height .. 900 .. text_height .. 900
adjust_frame_size .. pixel_height .. 1296 .. text_height .. 1296
adjust_frame_size .. pixel_height .. 1296 .. text_height .. 1296
xg_wm_set_size_hint .. line_height .. 36 .. base_height .. 43 .. 
height_inc .. 18
xg_wm_set_size_hint .. line_height .. 36 .. base_height .. 84 .. 
height_inc .. 18
set-face-attribute
xg_wm_set_size_hint .. line_height .. 45 .. base_height .. 88 .. 
height_inc .. 22
adjust_frame_size .. pixel_height .. 1584 .. text_height .. 1584
xg_wm_set_size_hint .. line_height .. 37 .. base_height .. 84 .. 
height_inc .. 18
adjust_frame_size .. pixel_height .. 1260 .. text_height .. 1260
set-face-attribute
adjust_frame_size .. pixel_height .. 1224 .. text_height .. 1224
adjust_frame_size .. pixel_height .. 1188 .. text_height .. 1188
set-face-attribute
adjust_frame_size .. pixel_height .. 1152 .. text_height .. 1152
adjust_frame_size .. pixel_height .. 1116 .. text_height .. 1116