Subject: Re: bug#52493: 29.0.50; Setting Inconsolata up in init.el makes default face rendered wrong

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 23:39:34 +0000

>
> Here are a bunch of scenarios, most of them pretty odd. I was primarily 
> testing scenario number 2.
>

Thanks for your detailed reply.

>> (set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 110 :font "Inconsolata_dz")
>> 
>> in a init file, everything works as I'd expect it to work.
>
> 1. If I put this in my init file and start Emacs, during startup it 
> blinks to a weird font (narrow window, narrow characters), but then 
> finishes startup with a window that looks reasonable (both the size of 
> the window and the shape of characters). 'M-x describe-face RET default' 
> reports "Inconsolata_dz" as family.
>

Can you please try an init file with only that line, and that exact line? 
Note that your original recipe used ":family", where ":font" should be 
used (and is used in the call to set-face-attribute above).

>
> 2. I start 'emacs -Q' and evaluate (set-face-attribute 'default nil 
> :height 105 :family "Inconsolata_dz") in *scratch*. I get that 
> weird-looking font that blinks briefly in scenario 1. 'M-x describe-face 
> RET default' reports "Ubuntu Condensed" as family.
>

Again, can you try to evaluate (set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 
110 :font "Inconsolata_dz") (with ":font", not ":family") instead, and 
tell us what happens?

Can you try your other recipes, using ":font" where you used ":family", 
and tell us whether what happens is what you expected?