Subject: bug#52480: 28.0.60; Emacs Zip-Archive open inside image file does not display, just empty buffer

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 10:26:14 +0200

> From: "Christopher M. Miles" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 12:02:27 +0800
> 
> > Anyway, can you describe what you see when you try to open one of
> > those images from within a ZIP file?  You said empty buffer, but
> > that's not how Emacs displays images it cannot draw as images.  So
> > maybe you didn't describe the display in all the detail?
> 
> I recorded a screencast video of this problem. And I uploaded the big video file here:
> 
> https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV12Y411W7VS/

Thanks.  According to this, Emacs says "(New file)" when you type RET
on a file name from the archive.  Which probably means Emacs doesn't
recognize the file-name encoding in the archive, because it works for
me on GNU/Linux.  I'm guessing that this is some issue with encoding
file names (perhaps specific to macOS) according to the locale, and
how we decode file names we see in ZIP archives.  What are the values
of the following variables in your Emacs session?

   file-name-coding-system
   default-file-name-coding-system
   locale-coding-system