Subject: bug#52475: [Question] About CSS prefers-color-scheme render in icecat

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 02:01:23 -0500

tags 52475 notabug
close 52475
thanks

Hi,

morisum via bug-gnuzilla via GNUzilla bug reports <[email-masked]>
writes:

> I tried to use icecat with dark mode; however, the website page won't
> automatically change to dark mode as expected. To be more specific the
> "prefers-color-scheme:dark" in CSS
> (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/@media/prefers-color-scheme).

It doesn't work because in IceCat the "privacy.resistFingerprinting"
option in <about:config> is set to "true" by default.  If you set it to
"false", scripts will then be able to determine your preferred color
scheme, local time zone, and several other pieces of information.

It would be nice to allow finer-grained control over which pieces of
information to allow scripts to see.  Mozilla opted for a single boolean
switch.  I would welcome patches to improve this situation.

     Regards,
       Mark

-- 
Disinformation flourishes because many people care deeply about injustice
but very few check the facts.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>.