Subject: Re: bug#52467: 29.0.50; Use pop-to-buffer for shell

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 02:47:59 +0200

On 24.12.2021 12:07, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> What is that you propose should change?

Basically what Sam is asking (use pop-to-window for both shell and 
eshell), I'm just trying to conceptualize that change. Not a strong 
preference, but it seems to make sense.

Or to approach the question from another angle, the difference between 
that behavior and the current one is that you can create two windows 
that show the same buffer. Do we want that to happen with 'M-x shell' 
without prefix?

Overall, pop-to-buffer seems more common than pop-to-buffer-same-window.

The downside of using it, though, is that the current window is unlikely 
to be used even if the buffer is not displayed anywhere else (the 
algorithm chooses something like LRU window). Maybe we should choose a 
mode of operation where it does use the current window, unless the 
buffer is displayed somewhere else.

Something like

     (pop-to-buffer buffer
                    '((display-buffer-reuse-window
                       display-buffer-same-window)
                      (inhibit-same-window . nil)))