Subject: Re: bug#52461: spontaneous crash with portable dumper

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 12:04:31 +0900

On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 22:20:30 +0900,
Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > I directly inserted the memset line just after the xpalloc call in
> > charset.c, and dumped 10 times.  No crash occured.
> > 
> > I also tried the change below, and it seems to work, too.
> 
> Thanks.  I think I prefer the second variant.
> 
> Do you think we need more testing of this, since the problem was
> intermittent?

I don't think so.  The members of struct charset other than
code_space_mask is non-pointer values, so they do not involve any
dereference.

Can I install it to the emacs-28 branch?  Currently, we have
charset_table_used == 179, and charset_table_size == 180, so the
problem does not manifest itself without additional charsets defined
before dumping.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]