Subject: bug#5244: 23.1; Newsticker can't parse most XML feeds

From: Richard Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:33:30 +0000

Newsticker.el reports errors when trying to parse most of the feeds I
want to read.

Here's an example backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument processp 85)
  process-id(85)
  #[(proc) "..." [proc id newsticker--process-ids new-list process-id] 3](85)
  mapc(#[(proc) "..." [proc id newsticker--process-ids new-list process-id] 3] "..." [status-ok newsticker--cache name-symbol newsticker--error-headline name event newsticker--cache-add format "%s: Newsticker could not retrieve news from %s.\nReturn status: `%s'\nCommand was `%s'" format-time-string "%A, %H:%M" current-time "" new 0 nil message "%s: Error while retrieving news from %s" throw oops utf-8 re-search-forward ">[ 	\n]+<" t replace-match "><" "<!DOCTYPE[ 	\n]+rdf:RDF" "<!DOCTYPE rdfColonRDF" search-forward "\n" "\n" "<!DOCTYPE[ 	\n]+rss[    \n]*>" "<!--" "-->" error "Can't find end of comment" "<description>\\(<img.*?\\)</description>" "<description><![CDATA[ \\1 ]]></description>" "\\(<[^>]*\\)=\"\"" "\\1=\" \"" set-buffer-modified-p "encoding=\"\\([^\"]+\\)\"" intern match-string 1 (check-coding-system coding-system) ((coding-system-error ... nil)) decode-coding-region errordata (byte-code "ed\"" [xml-parse-region] 3) ...] 11)
  newsticker--sentinel-work(nil t "Planet Lisp" "url-retrieve" #<buffer  *newsticker-url-Planet Lisp*>)
  newsticker--get-news-by-url-callback(nil "Planet Lisp")
  apply(newsticker--get-news-by-url-callback (nil "Planet Lisp"))
  url-http-activate-callback()
  url-http-content-length-after-change-function(23585 27680 4095)
  url-http-generic-filter(#<process planet.lisp.org> "...")
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.2)
 of 2009-11-02 on raven, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10605000
configured using `configure  '--build=i486-linux-gnu' '--host=i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs23:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.1/leim' '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  jabber-activity-mode: t
  jabber-mode-line-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  iswitchb-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <left> <right> <left> <delete> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <delete> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<left> <left> <right> <left> C-SPC <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<right> <right> <right> C-w M-> <return> <return> <return> 
<return> <return> C-y M-v <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <end> <left> <left> 
. . . <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <return> C-x u <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <home> C-SPC <C-down> M-w M-x r e p o <tab> 
r <tab> b u <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
error in process filter: Wrong type argument: processp, 85 [2 times]
Reading [application/xml]... 2k of 2k (101%)
Reading... done.
error in process filter: Wrong type argument: processp, 85 [2 times]
Mark set
Back to top level.
Mark set [8 times]
Undo!
Mark set
Making completion list...