Subject: Re: bug#52399: 28.0.60; easier access to ORG-NEWS

From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 19:33:33 -0800

Kyle Meyer wrote:

> Mike Kupfer writes:

> > 1. The "Browse Org News" menu item (Org > Documentation > Browse Org
> > News) isn't adequate, because it takes you to orgmode.org.
[...]
> > 2. I don't see a reference to ORG-NEWS in the Org mode section of the
> > Info pages, much less an easy way to get to it.
> 
> These two look like something that would be dealt with on Org's side.
> This report has been reassigned there, so perhaps someone on the Org
> list will have thoughts or decide to work on a patch.

Okay, thanks.

> > 3. The entry in NEWS for the Org mode update mentions ORG-NEWS, but it
> > doesn't say how to get to it.
[...]
> And I guess this one is for Emacs's side at the time of the sync.
> 
> I was looking through the NEWS* files in the Emacs repo for guidance
> from other packages, but I see mostly the same thing ("GNUS-NEWS",
> "MH-E-NEWS", "ERC-NEWS", ...).  I guess there is one that's a little
> different, though I'm not sure how helpful tacking on "./" is: "See the
> file ./MH-E-NEWS for details".
> 
> Do you have any suggestions for what would be more helpful to put there?

I thought about it briefly before submitting the bug but didn't come up
with anything I liked.  I suppose the "./" is better than nothing, but
I'm not sure it actually provides enough of a clue.  Something like "See
the file foo-NEWS (in the same directory as NEWS)" gives enough of a
clue, perhaps, but it strikes me as verbose.

Hmm.  I wonder if C-h n should bring up a list of news files, rather
than going straight to NEWS.

cheers,
mike