Subject: bug#52375: webkitgtk needs gst-plugins-bad

From: Jack Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 00:25:10 -0500 (EST)

I asked about this issue on #webkitgtk:gnome.org on IRC. It turns 
out that what's missing from my environment is gst-plugins-bad (most 
likely the fakevideosink plugin contained therein). If I install 
gst-plugins-bad into an environment with a webgkitgtk browser, the crash I 
was seeing is resolved. Only adding gst-plugins-bad to the inputs of 
webkitgtk doesn't seem to be enough to solve the problem. I suppose some 
additional wrapping is needed somewhere (although gst-plugins-base shows 
up in the webkitgtk references).

What's the best path forward here?

Should leaf applications that use webkitgtk be wrapped to find the right 
gst-plugins? This seems suboptimal to me. If the plugins are really 
dependencies of webkitgtk then perhaps they should be encoded that way in 
Guix.

Should webkitgtk be wrapped somehow to find the plugins on its own? How 
would this wrapping be done? Do we want to force all webkitgtk applications 
to carry around these dependencies?

Best,
Jack