Subject: Re: bug#52372: gash-utils & fzf conflict

From: Timothy Sample <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 11:12:32 -0500

Hi Blake and Tobias,

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice via Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]>
writes:

> gash-utils doesn't implement find -L, so failure is to be expected.
> As you discovered the fix is as simple as uninstalling gash-utils, and
> possibly using it in a Guix environment if you really need it.
>
> I don't think installing gash-utils globally into your main profile is
> a good idea!

Definitely not!  Gash-Utils is very much pre-alpha software, and I don’t
really intend for those utilities to be useful beyond bootstrapping
their fully-featured GNU cousins.  Ideally there would be a
bootstrapping version of Gash-Utils that installs the utilities, and a
regular version that just has Scheme interfaces.  To date, it has felt a
little premature to bother with that.

However, if you find the Scheme interfaces from Gash-Utils useful, I’m
happy to make accommodations.  Right now, I think that Guilers either
write their own utilities like ‘find-files’ or they copy them out of
Guix’s ‘(guix build utils)’ module (I tend to do the latter).  It would
be nice if Gash-Utils could cover this use case and be a bit like
Python’s ‘shutil’, allowing a smoother transition from shell scripting
skills to Guile scripting skills.

-- Tim