Subject: bug#52372: closed (Re: bug#52372: gash-utils & fzf conflict)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 17:34:02 +0000

Your bug report

#52372: gash-utils & fzf conflict

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
52372: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52372
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#52372: gash-utils & fzf conflict
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
To: Blake Shaw <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 18:14:12 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Blake,

> Command failed: […] command find

This isn't ‘really’ a bug: fzf invokes whichever find(1) 
executable happens to be in $PATH at run time, and reasonably 
expects it to support the POSIX ‘-L’ option.

It also willfully tries to hide any useful error messages:

> 2> /dev/null

…maybe that's what makes Rust so safe?

gash-utils doesn't implement find -L, so failure is to be 
expected.  As you discovered the fix is as simple as uninstalling 
gash-utils, and possibly using it in a Guix environment if you 
really need it.

I don't think installing gash-utils globally into your main 
profile is a good idea!

Since find(1) is such a key requirement of fzf, it makes sense to 
treat it as a fixed input in this case and keep a reference to 
findutils' in a wrapper.

Done in commit 9bac41c2b8e7be5ab713402591ceeb32c635c214.

Thanks!

T G-R

Subject: gash-utils & fzf conflict
From: Blake Shaw <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 18:23:04 +0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Gash-utils causes fzf to fail.

After installing gash-utils, attempting `bash5.0$ fzf` produces:
```
[Command failed: set -o pipefail; command find -L . -mindepth 1 \( -path '*/\.*' -o -fstype 'sysfs' -o -fstype 'devfs' -o -fstype 'devtmpfs' -o -fstype 'proc' \) -prune -o -type f -print -o -type l -print 2> /dev/null | cut -b3-]
```

Uninstalling gash-utils removes the problem.

Best,
Blake