Subject: Re: bug#52372: gash-utils & fzf conflict

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 18:14:12 +0100

Blake,

> Command failed: […] command find

This isn't ‘really’ a bug: fzf invokes whichever find(1) 
executable happens to be in $PATH at run time, and reasonably 
expects it to support the POSIX ‘-L’ option.

It also willfully tries to hide any useful error messages:

> 2> /dev/null

…maybe that's what makes Rust so safe?

gash-utils doesn't implement find -L, so failure is to be 
expected.  As you discovered the fix is as simple as uninstalling 
gash-utils, and possibly using it in a Guix environment if you 
really need it.

I don't think installing gash-utils globally into your main 
profile is a good idea!

Since find(1) is such a key requirement of fzf, it makes sense to 
treat it as a fixed input in this case and keep a reference to 
findutils' in a wrapper.

Done in commit 9bac41c2b8e7be5ab713402591ceeb32c635c214.

Thanks!

T G-R