Subject: Re: bug#52356: 27.2; Isearch prompt changes unexpectedly with char folding enabled

From: Andrea Greselin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 21:30:21 +0100

> Do you think this problem exists only when isearch-lazy-count is
customised to t?

No, I can just launch ‘emacs -Q’, go to the beginning of the buffer
and start searching for something with ‘C-s M-s '’ to get the
flickering prompt. What the settings in the first message do is change
the prompt: it is ‘Pending char-fold I-search’ without them (after
doing ‘C-s M-s '’) and just ‘I-search:’ with them (where just ‘C-s’
suffices for starting a char-folded search).

Your patch works both with and without my settings. I don’t know if
there are cases where it suppresses useful messages.

On Sat, 11 Dec 2021 at 21:05, Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello Andrea,
>
> > your patch works for me. If you’re going to submit it for merging
> > you might consider replacing the old line with
> >
> >     (or (eq this-command 'isearch-del-char)
> >
> > just to avoid using ‘memq’ for comparing against a single item.
>
> I'm still not sure about this change.  Do you think this problem
> exists only when isearch-lazy-count is customized to t?
> Do you see the same problem with the "pending" message
> while using the default value of isearch-lazy-count nil?
>