Subject: bug#52350: pypi import: ungraceful exit when recursively importing unknown package

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 14:20:21 +0100

Hi Ricardo,

On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 at 12:28, Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> wrote:

> When using the pypi importer, a typo in the package name leads to an
> ugly backtrace:

This is already tracker by patch#45984.  Well, the patch fixes the
issue of "pypi" and other ones too (although some had probably been
fixed independently, I have not checked or rebased this old patch).
The patch had not been merged because we (with jeko) tried a
pair-programming hacking session to revamp all the error handling.
Well, we were not very far (not easy pair programming, remotely
neither :-)).

I do not have much time these days to concretely make this revamp.
Maybe, the initial patch could be applied as a stopgap waiting a clean
revamp.

1: <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/45984>

Cheers,
simon