Subject: Re: bug#52348: Error installing pytorch and tensorflow

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 11:16:01 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 at 09:47, Cayetano Santos via Bug reports for GNU
Guix <[email-masked]> wrote:

>   By just issuing a
>
>     guix install python-pytorch tensorflow
>
> I get a conflict error with python-protobuf (3.6.1 and 3.12.4).

Yes, indeed.  tensorflow propagates [email-masked].  And
python-pytorch propagates onnx which itself propagated
[email-masked].  As the error message says. :-)

> However, when I
>
>     guix shell --container python-pytorch tensorflow
>
> I manage to create an environment with no issue.

Oh, yes it works.  However, note that tensorflow is probably not
compatible with the current Numpy version.

Hum, I do not know what is expected. :-)  Is it that 'shell' does as
'install' does?  Or contrary?  Well, I thought that "shell" was doing
the same thing as "install" but the profile was just marked as
temporary.

Cheers,
simon