Subject: Re: bug#52347: Shell: error when -m manifest is removed

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2021 17:23:38 +0100

Am Dienstag, den 07.12.2021, 15:27 +0100 schrieb zimoun:
> Hi,
> 
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 at 14:48, Liliana Marie Prikler
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > I am pretty sure all files are owned by the same user in my
> > case.  Can
> > stat:uid really return 0 then?
> 
> Maybe I am doing wrong but I just 'pk' in find-file-in-parent-
> directories. :-)
You are doing wrong:

  (if (or (not interactive?) ; true if giving -- COMMAND
          disallow-implicit-load?
          (options-contain-payload? opts))

So the pk in find-file-in-parent-directories should not even fire.  I'm
pretty sure the interactive constraint has a reasoning that was
explained back then, so we should investigate carefully whether we want
to overthrow that.  Warning, that noninteractive use of `guix shell'
requires an explicit manifest is also an option imo.

By the way, if we do search for a file, but find none, the warning
(warning (G_ "no packages specified; creating an empty environment~%"))
is displayed twice; once by auto-detect-manifest and once by guix-
environment*.  We should probably change that string to something that
indicates that we've attempted to auto-load a manifest.

Cheers