Subject: Re: bug#52338: Crawler bots are downloading substitutes

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 23:52:51 +0100

All,

Mark H Weaver 写道：
> For what it's worth: during the years that I administered Hydra, 
> I found
> that many bots disregarded the robots.txt file that was in place 
> there.
> In practice, I found that I needed to periodically scan the 
> access logs
> for bots and forcefully block their requests in order to keep 
> Hydra from
> becoming overloaded with expensive queries from bots.

Very good point.

IME (which is a few years old at this point) at least the 
highlighted BingBot & SemrushThing always respected my robots.txt, 
but it's definitely a concern.  I'll leave this bug open to remind 
us of that in a few weeks or so…

If it does become a problem, we (I) might add some basic 
User-Agent sniffing to either slow down or outright block 
non-Guile downloaders.  Whitelisting any legitimate ones, of 
course.  I think that's less hassle than dealing with dynamic IP 
blocks whilst being equally effective here.

Thanks (again) for taking care of Hydra, Mark, and thank you Leo 
for keeping an eye on Cuirass :-)

T G-R