Subject: bug#52298: 29.0.50; Frequent redisplay cycles induced by c-type-finder-timer-func timer in CC Mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 21:21:40 +0200

> Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 19:05:45 +0000
> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
> 
> This particular feature simply hasn't worked out well.  If the
> background scanning were to complete in a few seconds, it wouldn't be
> too bad.  But nearly two minutes on a modern (well, 4½ yo) machine for
> just one buffer, with the annoyance of the "stuttering", is not worth
> the gain.
> 
> What we have is effectively the entire buffer getting half-fontified in
> the background.  That's not what JIT fontification is supposed to be
> about.

Maybe just lowering the frequency of the time would be enough.  Or
running it off an idle timer.  E.g., I'm a happy user if jit-stealth,
and it never causes me any annoying side effects.  So maybe this
feature could run similarly?

Thanks.