Subject: bug#52298: 29.0.50; Frequent redisplay cycles induced by c-type-finder-timer-func timer in CC Mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 11:15:34 +0200

> Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 08:58:08 +0000
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
> 
> > > So, I suggest I write a commit message and commit that patch.
> 
> > Which patch?  I'm afraid I'm missing something here.
> 
> This one, the one that should prevent excessive incursions into the
> redisplay engine when a text property gets set whilst
> inhibit-modification-hooks is set:

No, this cannot be used as-is, because when face properties change, we
do want redisplay to take notice, of course.  I guess that's why
inhibit-modification-hooks doesn't prevent incrementing the
modification tick when text properties are changed in the first place:
it's not feasible to know which text properties affect the display and
which don't.  No one expected text properties irrelevant to display to
be put on buffer text with such high frequency.

If you don't have any other ideas, I guess we will have to live with
this.  Too bad.

(Sorry, but I like CC Mode less and less with every Emacs release, due
to changes like this one.)