Subject: bug#52709: closed (Re: bug#52297: 29.0.50; Error in c-force-redisplay timer)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 19:02:02 +0000

Your bug report

#52297: 29.0.50; Font-lock trying to use keywords before setting them up

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
52297: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52297
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#52297: 29.0.50; Error in c-force-redisplay timer
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 21:00:03 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 18:36:56 +0000
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
>   martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
> From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
> 
> > >>   emacs -Q
> > >>   C-x C-f some-C-file.c RET
> 
> > >> and then press "M-x".  Observe the following error message in the echo
> > >> area, displayed after "M-x":
> 
> > >>   Error running timer ‘c-force-redisplay’: (error "Font-lock trying to use keywords before setting them up")
> 
> > > OK, I'll look at it.
> 
> > Alan, this was nine weeks ago.  Have you made any progress here?  (I
> > don't see the issue myself, but it's apparently stopping Martin from
> > using recent Emacs builds.)
> 
> Sorry, I lost this one.  I've just configured a build on GNU with:
> 
>     $ CFLAGS='-O0 -g3' ./configure --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --with-gpm
> 
> , and built it.  When I do
> 
>     $ emacs -Q
>     C-x C-f src/xdisp.c
>     M-x end-of-buffer RET
> 
> , I don't see the bug at all.
> 
> Eli or Martin, is this bug still showing itself?

No, I don't.  I guess it was fixed in the meantime.  So I'm closing
this bug.

Thanks.

Subject: 29.0.50; Font-lock trying to use keywords before setting them up
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: Bug-Gnu-Emacs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 18:59:30 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When trying to ediff a C file or find occurrences in it on master I
frequently get this error.  A typical backtrace looks like

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Font-lock trying to use keywords before setting them up")
   signal(error ("Font-lock trying to use keywords before setting them up"))
   error("Font-lock trying to use keywords before setting them up")
   font-lock-compile-keywords(nil)
   font-lock-fontify-keywords-region(1 112 nil)
   font-lock-default-fontify-region(1523 1532 nil)
   c-font-lock-fontify-region(1523 1532)
   c-force-redisplay(1523 1532)
   apply(c-force-redisplay (1523 1532))
   timer-event-handler([t 25023 28385 699506 nil c-force-redisplay (1523 1532) nil 18000 nil])

I don't know what C mode is trying to do here but I just want to turn
this timer off.  Apparently, this is not possible without substantial
surgery in the cc-files so for the moment I simply use the Emacs 28
version of these files.  Doing normal work with C files is currently
impossible with master here.

martin

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 6, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5, cairo version 1.16.0)
  of 2021-12-19 built on restno
Repository revision: 8f82a83caec9ad48a6d4abc4dc26bed67f0e89e3
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Configured using:
  'configure --with-gif=ifavailable --with-tiff=ifavailable
  --with-gnutls=no --without-pop 'CFLAGS=-O3 -no-pie''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBSELINUX MODULES
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11
XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: de_AT.utf8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
   pop-up-mini-mode: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   scroll-restore-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   context-menu-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/martin/emacs-git/trunk/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-compat hides /home/martin/emacs-git/trunk/lisp/obsolete/eieio-compat

Features:
(shadow mail-extr warnings emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date thingatpt speck pop-up-mini vc cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs vc-git vc-dispatcher bug-reference elp vc-hg diff-mode
ediff-vers ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util local-tags info-look find-func elinfo-support
elinfo texinfo texinfo-loaddefs info shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring sidebar bookmark seq subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
text-property-search sort m&d scroll-restore regexp-lock time-stamp
eldoc-tooltip pcase easy-mmode find-dired dired dired-loaddefs cus-edit
pp cus-load wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib jka-compr ls-lisp gv iso-transl
tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 335299 40229)
  (symbols 48 14392 3)
  (strings 32 42429 3606)
  (string-bytes 1 1468638)
  (vectors 16 22758)
  (vector-slots 8 305409 30979)
  (floats 8 115 273)
  (intervals 56 33754 1489)
  (buffers 992 40))