Subject: bug#52295: windows 98: Killing text results in coding system complaint

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 17:09:25 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Is this a real crash (segfault), or an abort where we pop up the Emacs
> Abort dialog?  Since you compiled with --enable-checking, I think it's
> the latter.

> If it's a real crash, you could use the Windows Event log to find out
> the address where it crashes, and then use GDB on another system to
> see where that address is in the sources (but the address printed by
> Windows needs to be "translated" into addresses that you submit to GDB
> by adding some constant, AFAIR).

It's a real crash: the system pops up a dialog that says:

  This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
  If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.

Underneath, it displays the contents of the program counter: 011c62d6.

But I have no idea how to convert that address with gdb on the machine
that built the binary.  Any ideas?

gdbserver complained about missing symbols in kernel32.dll, so that
didn't work either.

> The other alternative is to insert many fprintf's to stderr into the
> sources, and use that to determine where it crashes.

I will try that, thanks.