Subject: bug#52293: 29.0.50; [PATCH v3] Prevent further cases of duplicated separators in context menus

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 13:59:16 -0800

On 12/12/2021 12:43 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 12:27:34 -0800
>>
>> On 12/11/2021 11:02 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> Are you saying that we will be recommending a convention for separator
>>> names only for menus popped up in context-menu-mode?  Does it make
>>> sense to have such a specialized convention?  Isn't it possible to
>>> show context menus outside of the context-menu-mode?
>>
>> No, I think this convention should be recommended for separators used
>> anywhere in Emacs going forward.
> 
> Ok, so then the effect of this change is wide, as I envisioned, and
> compatibility considerations still apply.

I'm also ok with applying this naming convention *only* to context menus 
and not treating this as a general guideline; that would still make it 
easier to remember the names of each context menu separator without 
having to double-check the source code.

I don't even have a problem with closing that bug (bug#52286) as 
wontfix, since it's just a minor issue anyway. It's really not a big 
deal if the naming is inconsistent, so long as the names are still unique.

I think this patch, which adds `top-separator' to help the 
de-duplication logic work better, would be useful to apply regardless of 
the decision on how the separators should be named.