Subject: Re: bug#52293: 29.0.50; [PATCH v3] Prevent further cases of duplicated separators in context menus

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 12:27:34 -0800

On 12/11/2021 11:02 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Are you saying that we will be recommending a convention for separator
> names only for menus popped up in context-menu-mode?  Does it make
> sense to have such a specialized convention?  Isn't it possible to
> show context menus outside of the context-menu-mode?

No, I think this convention should be recommended for separators used 
anywhere in Emacs going forward. I'm focusing mostly on 
context-menu-mode simply because it's pretty new, so there won't be much 
third-party code that relies on the old (`separator-foo') naming 
convention yet; it shouldn't be too risky to change this now. On the 
other hand, separators in the menu-bar (for example) have been around 
for longer, so I think it's probably too late to change those.

Overall, my guideline would be: use `foo-separator' when adding a new 
separator to Emacs, unless that part of the code consistently uses the 
`separator-foo' naming convention. In that case, it's probably best to 
stick with the existing scheme in those parts in order to be more 
internally-consistent.