Subject: Re: bug#52290: 28.0.90; Undocumented generalized variables

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 02:35:00 +0100

Phil Sainty <[email-masked]> writes:

> In 28.0.90 the list is huge:

I don't think many of those are new -- they were just moved from
cl-lib.el to gv.el, because it seemed weird to have them in cl-lib.el.

And we probably want to deprecate a whole bunch of them, because many of
them are just nonsensical.

But we don't really have a deprecation mechanisme for generalised
variables, so it's just hard.

> I think the manual should list these, but also at this point I think
> the help for any generalized variable should *automatically* state
> that fact, so that any future omissions are still covered to some
> extent, and also so that non-standard generalized vars defined by
> other libraries will have some documentation.

The manual should absolutely not list most of these, because we don't
want anybody to use them, and we want to remove many (most?) of the
undocumented ones.

We just have to figure out how to do that in an orderly fashion.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no