Subject: Re: bug#52290: 28.0.90; Undocumented generalized variables

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 03:46:11 +0100

Phil Sainty <[email-masked]> writes:

> I guess we'd want a new define-obsolete-* function, and for the setf
> macro to be flagging uses of obsolete PLACE forms at compile time?

Yup.

> It looks to me as if `gv-get' might be the right place to be checking
> this (but I'm only looking at the internals for the first time and
> don't have a good handle on this stuff).

Perhaps Stefan has some opinions here.

> Fair enough.  Should we start by deciding which ones we *should*
> document, and at least get that much added for 28.1?
>
> `buffer-local-value' is a clear "yes" vote from me (and I don't
> currently have an opinion on anything else).

Yes, `buffer-local-value' seems useful.

I think we should implement the obsoletion mechanism and then just go
through that list and obsolete all the stuff that doesn't seem useful
(and isn't used in-tree).  And then document the rest, as well as make
the *Help* buffer mention that they're generalised variables.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no