Subject: Re: bug#52286: 28.0.90; [PATCH] Be consistent in naming of separators in context menu

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 12:39:37 +0200

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 23:44:07 -0800
> 
> > The first pretest of Emacs 28 is already out, so this problem is
> > already with us, isn't it?
> 
> If it's too late to change this, that's ok. I just noticed it while 
> working on the patch for bug#52237 and figured it'd be good to file a 
> bug about it while there's still a non-zero chance it could be changed. 
> It's a pretty minor issue, so I don't really mind if this gets closed as 
> wontfix.
> 
> If this change *is* ok to merge, I'll happily update the ELisp manual 
> with a brief summary of the convention before it gets merged.

I'd like to hear opinions of others.  Meanwhile, having the proposed
convention spelled out in the manual would be good to make sure we are
all on the same page regarding the issue.

As for the issue itself: cannot we detect the separators in some more
robust way, one that doesn't depend on how they are named?  And if
that's not feasible, perhaps allow anything that has "separator" in
its name to be considered a separator?

Thanks.