Subject: [bug#52283] [PATCH 02/10] transformations: Add '--tune'.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2021 11:32:25 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 at 09:06, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The reason the test suite is skipped is because we cannot know for sure
> whether the machine that hosts the daemon is able to run code for this
> specific micro-architecture.

Naive question: is it possible to effectively run it via emulation?

> The test suite runs in the “baseline” package build anyway, so assuming
> the compiler works fine, skipping the test suite on tuned builds is
> okay.

I miss if the test suite is effectively run somewhere?  And "baseline"
package build means the package built for generic architecture, right?

Cheers,
simon

PS:
My questions are coming from Julia packages in mind, where the test
suite is the only way to know all is fine.  And many times, add System
Image for Julia had been discussed and basically this System Image is
precompilation (generic one or specialized for micro-architecture).
Therefore, maybe this new 'tune' transformation would fit the bill.
:-)

https://docs.julialang.org/en/v1/devdocs/sysimg/