Subject: bug#52273: 27.2; Segmentation Fault (SIGSEGV) when using evil-search-forward (/) in info page

From: Arvin Sevilla <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2021 11:17:28 +0800

Hi,

Reproduction steps:
1. emacs -Q
2. ;"paste the evil install script [code1]"
3. M-x eval-buffer
4. C-h i
5. C-12 j  ;"move cursor to evil node/topic/section"
6. /info   ;"use evil-search-forward and type 'info'"
7. ;"END [email-masked] will crash to desktop"

Alternative reproduction steps
1. emacs -Q
2. ;"paste the evil install script [code1]"
3. M-x eval-buffer
4. C-h i
5. k  ;"move cursor to first line, which is '(dir)Top'"
6. M-x evil-search-forward dirtop  ;"use evil-search-forward and type
'dirtop'"
7. ;"END [email-masked] will crash to desktop"

[code1] https://github.com/emacs-evil/evil
```emacs-lisp
;; Set up package.el to work with MELPA
(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives
             '("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/"))
(package-initialize)
(package-refresh-contents)

;; Download Evil
(unless (package-installed-p 'evil)
  (package-install 'evil))

;; Enable Evil
(require 'evil)
(evil-mode 1)
```

I'm able to reproduce with [email-masked] using manjaro linux and [email-masked]

Initial report can be found here:
https://github.com/emacs-evil/evil/issues/1546

==== auto generated message below using report-emacs-bug ====

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.27,
cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-03-27 built on juergen
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101001
System Description: Manjaro Linux

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-wide-int
 --with-modules --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON
PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_PH.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_PH.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_PH.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_PH.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  override-global-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-extra
help-mode use-package-ensure use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode
use-package-core undo-tree diff evil evil-keybindings evil-integration
evil-maps evil-commands reveal flyspell ispell evil-jumps
evil-command-window evil-search evil-ex shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color evil-types evil-macros evil-repeat evil-states evil-core
advice evil-common windmove calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs thingatpt rect
evil-digraphs evil-vars ring edmacro kmacro gruvbox-theme gruvbox
autothemer dash info package easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 128548 7194)
 (symbols 48 13606 1)
 (strings 32 37114 2101)
 (string-bytes 1 1238285)
 (vectors 16 21666)
 (vector-slots 8 240940 9068)
 (floats 8 56 35)
 (intervals 56 280 0)
 (buffers 1000 12))

Kind regards,

Arvin