Subject: bug#52269: closed (Re: bug#52269: [core-updates-frozen] sitecustomize.py does not honor .pth files)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 15:03:01 +0000

Your bug report

#52269: [core-updates-frozen] sitecustomize.py does not honor .pth files

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
52269: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52269
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#52269: [core-updates-frozen] sitecustomize.py does not honor .pth files
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Lars-Dominik Braun <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 10:02:04 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I've cherry-picked this commit to the version-1.4.0 branch.  I'll amass
some fixes there and then later have Cuirass build it.

Closing.

Thanks for the review!

Maxim

Subject: [core-updates-frozen] Some Python packages relying on .pth are broken
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: bug-guix <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 21:59:53 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Guix,

This was already something Harmut noted during their review of the
site.py loader (that it should honor .pth files), but at the time I
wasn't aware of a Python package that still made use of that mechanism
and thought it was legacy.

To my dismay it seems to be used by the tool 'pdbpp', which is an
improved pdb (debugger) for Python; using core-updates-frozen I noticed
that it was no longer in use; looking at its installed files I see:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
pdbpp_hijack_pdb.pth
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

So I'm guessing that because the new loader doesn't handle .pth files
its "hijacking" technique doesn't work.

Unfortunately touching this site.py file would causes a massive rebuild
(of the whole Python world).  Hopefully this use of .pth is a rare
occurrence and can be worked around.

Thanks,

Maxim