Subject: Re: bug#52245: Wishlist: cycle input methods

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 16:49:56 +0100

>>>>> On Thu, 02 Dec 2021 16:30:18 +0100, Tor Kringeland <[email-masked]> said:

    Tor> This was suggested by Robert Pluim and discussed in bug#52173.
    Tor> Basically, extend `toggle-input-method' to cycle through multiple input
    Tor> methods, which would be very useful for multilingual writing.

Having slept since then 😊, Iʼve come up with a slightly different
variant.

`default-input-method' is currently either nil or an input method to
use for `toggle-input-method'. Extend it to allow it to be a list to
cycle through, containing either

- input-method symbols
- the symbol 'input-method-history

So you could have eg

'(latin-prefix input-method-history czech)

If input-method-history contained 'polish, then cycling would go

latin-prefix -> polish -> czech -> no input method

Robert
--