Subject: bug#53280: closed (Re: bug#52242: 29.0.50; Feature Request: Offer to run`diff-buffer-with-file' in `recover-this-file' prompt)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 12:38:02 +0000

Your bug report

#52242: 29.0.50; M-x recover-this-file's file list not informative

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
52242: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52242
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#52242: 29.0.50; Feature Request: Offer to run`diff-buffer-with-file' in `recover-this-file' prompt
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 14:36:33 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Visuwesh <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 09:44:50 +0530
> 
> [ஞாயிறு டிசம்பர் 10, 2023] Visuwesh wrote:
> 
> Just noticed that I had an unrelated filling change sneak in, the
> attached patch omits that.  Sorry for the noise.

Thanks, installed on the master branch, and closing the bug.

Subject: 29.0.50; M-x recover-this-file's file list not informative
From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 13:01:21 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When doing M-x recover-this-file, I am presented with list of files
similarly like in Dired listing. If file is 465k and difference small
with files, then I just see 2 files, one being "#file#" and other
"file". That list presented as a choice for decision if to recover the
file or not is not sufficiently informative. It gives me no information
on why should I recover the file.

Something more informative would be if Emacs would tell me which file is
larger.

Even better would be if I could be represented an option to quickly see
the difference between the files.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.17.4, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2022-01-09 built on protected.rcdrun.com
Repository revision: 3984ea855361f8c82cdeffbc616dbb459c257dae
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Parabola GNU/Linux-libre

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=exwm-xim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date seq gv
subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 46060 9863)
 (symbols 48 6198 3)
 (strings 32 17417 1648)
 (string-bytes 1 539956)
 (vectors 16 11662)
 (vector-slots 8 161706 12752)
 (floats 8 22 52)
 (intervals 56 236 0)
 (buffers 992 11))

-- 
Thanks,
Jean Louis

Take action in Free Software Foundation campaigns:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns