Subject: Re: bug#52235: 29.0.50; Suggestion: refactor time.el into a more general 'clock' framework

From: Arthur Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 10:19:37 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Arthur Miller <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 00:08:37 +0100
>> 
>> My idea to per-use it is to simply run 'update-hooks' on clock beat, so any
>> application can register a hook that will be called on a "clock beat". While it
>> is maybe not so super-synchronized with system clock, it still gives impression
>> of clocks in Emacs be synchronized.
>
> Isn't that what timers are for?  Why can't you use run-with-timer for
> what you want to do?

Becaue it does not syncrhonize with clock that Emacs displays, if it displays. I
could use a timer, and I used it as mentioned in the description of suggestion.

As mentioned, not pretty, if different application will like to be notifed
at "11:30" clock time, and then one happends like half minut before the other.

Also there is no reason to create one timer per each application if all
application is want to be notified when certain clock time occur. It saves code
repetion that each application has to setup. Further, if user is displaying time
on the modeline, and those variables are all calculated, why should other
application re-define and re-calculate them.