Subject: bug#52232: 29.0.50; Can scroll horizontally with pixel-scroll-precision-mode

From: Yuan Fu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 14:02:01 -0800

I'm not sure if this is only on Mac with its touch pad, but if I enable
pixel-scroll-precision-mode and mouse-wheel-tilt-scroll, slowly
scrolling horizontally has no effect. If I scroll very fast, I can get
the screen to scroll, but scrolling slowly doesn't move the screen. If I
disable pixel-scroll-precision-mode, both fast and slow scroll works.

To be percise:

(progn (setq mouse-wheel-tilt-scroll t)
       (pixel-scroll-precision-mode))

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin21.1.0, NS appkit-2113.00 Version 12.0.1 (Build 21A559))
of 2021-11-29 built on Brown
Repository revision: 50379fb78d04deb9f422b906add126219a1a775d
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.0.1

Configured using:
'configure --with-pdumper=yes --with-ns'

Configured features:
ACL DBUS GLIB GNUTLS JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER
PNG RSVG THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  pixel-scroll-precision-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(url-util url-parse url-vars help-mode pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug
message mailcap yank-media rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search seq gv
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils vc-git diff-mode
easy-mmode vc-dispatcher cus-start cus-load pixel-scroll time-date
subr-x cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 71791 14809)
(symbols 48 8373 2)
(strings 32 23143 1657)
(string-bytes 1 704324)
(vectors 16 15346)
(vector-slots 8 201889 14653)
(floats 8 33 422)
(intervals 56 561 0)
(buffers 992 14))