Subject: Re: bug#52205: Allow configuring multiple mail accounts for smtpmail.el

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 09:12:44 +0000

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Excuse me for asking, but confusing to whom?  It would seem consistent
>> if an order of priority like
>>
>> 1. Header
>> 2. server-alist/function
>> 3. default server
>>
>> would be guaranteed.
>
> The confusing bit comes when the user has configured several of these,
> and expects one of them to have a priority that it doesn't have.  By
> making this go through one single check point the priority becomes a
> non-issue.

I understand your point, but for this to work correctly I fear the
alternative could be more confusing.

Let's say I open a mail buffer with C-x m.  My default address is
inserted into the "From:" header. If I were to write my message, and
then decide to use my secondary address, I would either have to modify
the X-Message-SMTP-Method manually, or have it updated just before the
message is sent out.  The former is no improvement over the current
situation, and the second has the same potential for confusion, because
the user doesn't notice that the header is generated or updated.

-- 
	Philip Kaludercic