Subject: bug#52197: [PATCH] Format and index concept 'predicate' in ELisp Intro

From: Y. E. <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 12:20:46 +0200

Tags: patch

As the subject claims, the patch suggests improving representation of
the concept 'predicate' in Emacs Lisp Introduction.

As far as I can tell, this is the only place among Emacs bundled
manuals that introduce the concept.

>From a097c026d9e894679cbb248c8ce5edfb6036e0e5 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: YugaEgo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 12:02:39 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] Format and index concept 'predicate' in ELisp Intro

* doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi (Wrong Type of Argument):
Add index and format definition.
---
 doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi | 3 ++-
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi b/doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi
index 6ddc3bfb5c..9f1f10e8d6 100644
--- a/doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi
+++ b/doc/lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.texi
@@ -2146,9 +2146,10 @@ Wrong Type of Argument
 of the buffer.)  In Emacs Lisp, @code{+} can be used to add the
 numeric value of marker positions as numbers.
 
+@cindex @samp{predicate} defined
 The @samp{p} of @code{number-or-marker-p} is the embodiment of a
 practice started in the early days of Lisp programming.  The @samp{p}
-stands for ``predicate''.  In the jargon used by the early Lisp
+stands for @dfn{predicate}.  In the jargon used by the early Lisp
 researchers, a predicate refers to a function to determine whether some
 property is true or false.  So the @samp{p} tells us that
 @code{number-or-marker-p} is the name of a function that determines
-- 
2.30.0